message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Art + Interiors: Desert Decor

Lately I've been incredibly inspired by the desert. There is something so intriguing to me about the dusty dry heat and the presence of old and new life. And I'm particularly loving the way incorporating antlers and horns into a space can bring that same sensibility into a space. While I'm not a fan of hunting, I love the idea of giving these elements new life through design...

from top images via Spell and the Gyspy, Kari Herer

I also love the way designers have been re-purposing this age old decoration in new artistic ways from painted and decorated deer heads to woven antlers. The style fits seamlessly with eclectic and traveled as well as fresh and modern...


How brilliant is the kilm rug cut into the shape of a cow hide? What a wonderful way to get the look without using a real animal's coat. I'll leave you with my favorite modern desert finds from around the web...Enjoy!

from top left: painted antler via Haley Ann Robinson, horn cups via Jayson Home and Garden, Antler necklaces via Decomp, Gilded antler via My Mother the Hunter, Antler wall sconce via Velocity Art and Design, Antler print via Monorail Studio, painted antler via TjabArt, horn serverware via Jayson Home and Garden

2 comments:

  1. so funny - i have been digging the antlers lately too, and i have that same print saved in my etsy favorites to buy (except in orange) - check this out: http://etsy.me/pvPcZw ...way expensive, but I'm gonna try to DIY my own version! love this post girlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the antler with the jewel tone threading around it is amazing!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete