message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Thursday, September 2, 2010

One Man's Trash...

Alex Uribe...
Uribe is one of many artists today taking what we throw away and making it into art. I love the re-working of an ordinary or mundane object or material into something beautiful. Here he makes undulating, feminine curves out of corrugated cardboard.

I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Henry David Thoreau

The men of www.graypants.com/ are taking it to another level and making fully functional works of art of both cardboard and scraps of plywood. I serendipitously met these guys in Seattle and was utterly inspired. Their architectural backgrounds give them a unique grasp on structure and space and paired with their never-ending creativity the possibilities here are endless.

I was most impressed when they showed me their prototype for the Slice Chair below. The innovation here is incredible and the chair itself is an ingenious sculpture.

Live in it...
 

I cannot wait to have a client project where I can use these pieces. The scrap lights are great for such a variety of spaces, I know it won't be long. They add a stripped, industrial feel to a space while also bringing in warmth and texture, two components that rarely seem to go hand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment